Barbecue mojito mango cheeks
- 4 large ripe mangoes
- 100ml white rum
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- Mint ice cream, to serve
- Mint sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- For the mint sugar, combine sugar and mint in a processor. Process until well combined. Spoon into a jar and refrigerate until ready to serve
- Cut the cheeks from the mango stone. Score the flesh. Place scored side up onto a tray. Combine the rum and lime in a jug. Spoon 1 tablespoon rum mixture over each scored mango cheek, allowing to drizzle between cut mango. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons sugar over each mango cheek.
- Preheat a barbecue plate on high heat. Cut a sheet of baking paper to fit the barbecue plate and place onto the hot barbecue plate. Place mango cheeks cut side down, onto the paper. Barbecue for 4-5 minutes until caramelized. Sprinkle with mint sugar and serve with scoops mint ice cream.
- Tip So the barbecue stays hot and mangoes don’t stew its best not to overcrowd the barbecue plate, so you may need to cook in 2-3 batches depending on the size of your barbecue.
- Tip These mojito mango cheeks are delicious served at room temperature or chilled.
- Tip Child friendly option replace the rum with coconut milk or coconut water and lime with orange juice.