225g unsalted butter, softened
1 ¼ cups caster sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
2 ¼ cups self raising flour
½ cup milk
½ cup buttermilk
1 mango, peeled and roughly chopped
¼ cup pistachios, roughly chopped, to garnish
1 mango, extra, thinly sliced, to garnish
greek style yoghurt, to serve
Lemon syrup –
Juice of 1 lemon
½ cup caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 160C. Grease a 25cm fluted ring tin.
- Place the butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat with electric beaters until light and creamy. Gradually add the eggs one at a time and vanilla and beat well.
- Sift the flour over the butter mixture and fold through, alternating with the combined milk and buttermilk. Mash the mango then fold into the cake mixture.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the tin, smoothing the surface with a palate knife. Bake for 1 hour or until cooked through then invert onto a cooling rack.
- While the cake is cooking make the lemon syrup. Place the lemon juice, sugar and ¾ cup water in a small pan. Stir until sugar has dissolved then bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened and reduced.
- Transfer the warm cake to a serving platter and garnish with pistachio and extra sliced mango. Pour over the warm lemon syrup and serve with greek yoghurt.